Packing Lists – Safari
Safari Packing List
It is important to keep luggage to the barest minimum on safari as possible.
Baggage should be of round squashy type rather than suit cases that are difficult to fit into jeeps, try to use something that is
lockable and waterproof as luggage often end up loaded onto the roof of your Safari vehicle.
For budget camping, all camping gear will be provided.
On your inbound flight it is common that your checked in luggage arrives later after you have arrived, for some reasons.
Therefore donʼt check in items that you absolutely need on arrival. (e.g. Medicine).
- Sun hat / a cap
- Long sleeved shirts
- Light shorts (cotton is preferable)
- Long trousers (at least two pairs)
- Sandals / flip-flops
- Swimsuit (for hotel and lodges)
- Warm scarf as it can get cold in the evenings
- A jacket which is suited for safari
- Hiking / walking shoes
- If you are going hiking sportswear is preferable
For women: a sports bra can be preferable e.g. for hiking or safari
Note: Bright or white colors are not recommended for safaris. Try avoiding blue as it attracts Tsetse flies. Camouflage
clothing is strictly illegal in Tanzania try avoiding them so as not to get arrested.
Safari equipment & supplies
- Camera and video equipment
- Memory cards and extra batteries
- If you wear contact lenses it would be safer to bring extra pair of glasses as it is dusty on safari on therefore might
dry out your contact lenses
- A good torch or headlight and spare batteries
- Padlocks for your luggage
- Lip balm
- Sun block
- Swiss pocket knife
- Wet wipes and hand sanitizer
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/dental floss
- Cotton swap and cotton pads
- Razor and shaving cream
- Fanny pack or neck pouch
- Reading books if desired
- Visas, tickets, passports, money and any important documents
- Your safari itinerary
- Emergency phone numbers
- Insurance police
- If camping: A towel e.g. a microfiber towel as these can be compact packed and is fast drying
- If camping: Shower gel/shampoo/conditioner
- If camping: A small mirror
Medicine: We advise you to pack any basic medication that you may need as advised by your doctor
- Insect & Mosquito repellant
- Sun block and after sun lotion
- Antiseptic cream
- Malaria tablets
- Pain killers
- Motion sickness tablets
- Anti-diarrhea medicine
- Cold/flu tablets
- Anti-histamine tablets
- Prescribed medicine (must be packed in your hand luggage)
Documents: Securely bind all your travel documents together, make extra copies of your passports, travel insurance,
tickets, id card and leave some copies at home and take some with you, it is also a good idea to scan all of these
documents and e-mail them to your personal account, so you can access them anywhere in case of an emergency.